Here's what you will need:
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3 tbsp corn syrup
4 cups birdseed
Large mixing bowl
Any kind of mold-(cookie cutters work great!)
Pencil or drinking straw
Twine or yarn for hanging
1. Measure the flour, water, gelatin and corn syrup in a large mixing bowl. Stir until well-combined.
2. Add the birdseed, to the flour mixture in the mixing bowl. Stir gently to coat the seed with the mixture.
3. Spray the mold that you are going to use with non-stick cooking spray, then spoon some of the birdseed mixture into each mold. Poke a hole through the center of each birdseed mold using a pencil or drinking straw (this will be where you hang it from).
4. Leave the birdseed mixture inside the molds for two to three hours. Lay out a sheet of waxed paper on a flat surface. Remove the birdseed mixture from the molds and gently place them upside down on the waxed paper. Allow them to continue to dry for two to three more hours or overnight (you don't want to hang them up still wet, because they may become moldy).
5. Cut a length of yarn or twine about one foot long, then string the yarn or twine through the hole in each molded birdseed feeder. Tie ends securely in a knot so you can hang the molded birdseed from a branch or hook.
As you make the feeders, let your little ones get in and do part of the stirring and molding of the birdseed, it's o.k. if things get a little messy, they will love the memory you are helping them to create!
See how many different birds you can attract to this yummy treat!