Touch is the first form of communication that a baby expresses. Naturally, your infant will feel loved, safe and secure when you touch her back. Infant Massage is a great opportunity to demonstrate love to your sweet baby.
IM benefits for your baby:
- Infant-Parent bonding opportunity
- Great relaxation technique
- Baby feels loved through touch, eye contact, voice and body language
- Prepares and promotes for better sleep
- Sensory stimulation occurs
- Skin condition improvement
- Blood circulation improvement
- Promotes better digestion
- Promotes balanced respiration
- Provides relief for teething pains
- Assists in regular waste elimination
- Helps build baby's self-esteem
- Stimulates production of the hormone oxytocin which helps calm, relax and relief any pain your baby may be experiencing.
Be sensitive to your baby's moods and it's better to choose a time when they're not too tired or hungry. A good option is after a bath or 30 minutes before bedtime. If your baby's needs are unmet they will not relax and respond to you.
Create a warm, safe, soft environment free from distractions. Warmth is important because infants loose body heat easily.
During the Massage
Be Flexible - It is an interactive communication that flows between you and your baby.
Eye contact - Offering eye contact allows to deepen your connection with your baby.
Voice - Talk and sing to her during the massage. Music may add quality to your time together.
Touch Relaxation - It is a valuable skill to help reduce stress and increase your child's feeling of well-being.
Infant Cues - Your baby will cue what they need and want. Listen and be willing to respond properly to their cues.
What You Will Need
- Oi l- Use a small amount to allow your hands to move freely as you massage. Unscented, cold-pressed fruit or vegetable oil is recommended.
- Towel or quilt - for the baby to lay on.
- Pillow - This provides a security. The support of the pillow helps reduce reflexive tendency to startle.
- Protective cloth to put under your baby.
- Change of clothes to dress your baby into afterwards.
Overview and tips on Baby Massage
Nurturing Touch: Instruction in the Art of Infant Massage